Singapore, 23 May, 2012 – Pan Pacific Hotels Group today announced that its flagship PARKROYAL hotel, PARKROYAL on Pickering, a PARKROYAL Collection hotel, has been conferred the Green Mark Platinum Award by the Building & Construction Authority (BCA) in Singapore.
The Green Mark scheme recognises buildings which have adopted sustainable features and practices to promote energy and water efficiency as well as environmental conservation and indoor environmental quality. It comprises four levels of ratings (Certified, Gold, Gold and Platinum) with Green Mark Platinum representing the highest rating for green buildings in Singapore.
PARKROYAL on Pickering is designed by internationally acclaimed architectural firm WOHA and boasts a hotel-in-a-garden concept that focuses on integrating environmental principles and elements throughout the property.
Located at the key gateway into the Central Business District and Raffles Place financial hub, the hotel features lush greenery spanning a total of 15,000 square metres of impressive sky gardens, reflecting pools, waterfalls, planter terraces and green walls.
Amongst its other green features are rainwater and natural light harvesting, energy-efficient air conditioning system, automatic sensors to regulate energy and water usage as well as carbon monoxide levels, along with solar cells to power landscape lighting.
With these features, PARKROYAL on Pickering will effectively reduce surrounding temperatures through the greenery, enhance air quality and reduce greenhouse gases when it opens in December. (Please refer to the Appendix for a list of the hotel’s green features).
“The accolades and attention that PARKROYAL on Pickering has received even before its opening have been a real motivating force for the team,” said A. Patrick Imbardelli, President and CEO of Pan Pacific Hotels Group.
“Our goal is that all the hard, the soft standards, everything about this amazing product all come together to deliver against the brand’s promise and the expectations of our guests and everyone who is eagerly anticipating its opening.”
PARKROYAL on Pickering has been making waves for its unique hotel-in-a-garden concept. Just last month, the brand-defining hotel was lauded as an architectural stunner by Forbes.com in a ‘Hotels of the Future: 7 Architectural Stunners on the Horizon’ story that showcased seven upcoming hotels around the world representative of cutting-edge architectural trends.
The hotel was also conferred the Solar Pioneer Award by Singapore’s Energy Innovation Programme Office last year. Recognised for its holistic and innovative approach to integrate solar energy into the design, the hotel is one of the first amongst Singapore hotels to feature a solar energy system. The substantive 60kWp solar PV installation supplements the grid electricity usage and powers all the grow lamps and sky garden night lighting, thus reducing the consumption of precious non-renewable resources.
Another highlight of this iconic project is the dedicated wellness floor with an all-day spa, a 300m nature trail and waterfall walk, an expansive pool terrace and a state-of-the-art gymnasium. The hotel is also home to a modern Asian brasserie featuring an open kitchen concept as well as a grand ballroom and four meeting rooms that can accommodate up to 500 guests.
Pan Pacific Hotels Group currently owns and manages 13 PARKROYAL hotels, resorts and serviced suites across Australia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore and Vietnam (including those under development). In Singapore, the Group owns and operates PARKROYAL on Beach Road, PARKROYAL on Kitchener Road and PARKROYAL Serviced Suites Singapore.
The PARKROYAL brand will also debut in China with PARKROYAL Serviced Suites Green City, Shanghai later this year.
By the numbers: PARKROYAL on Pickering’s sustainable features
- The 16-storey hotel features five beautifully-landscaped gardens and 15,000 square metres of lush greenery comprising shade trees, tall palm flowering plants, leafy shrubs and overhanging creepers, bringing greenery directly to the rooms and internal spaces.
- 70% energy reduction with the use of heat pumps instead of conventional electrical heating systems to generate hot water.
- 50% of guestroom corridors are shaded by tropical trees and flanked by water features, reducing the use of 24-hour air-conditioning.
- 20% lighting power reduction by using LED (light-emitting diodes) light bulbs and T5 type florescent lamps. Natural light will be harvested for public areas like hotel corridors and lobbies.
- 3.5 million kilowatt-hour of energy - equivalent to the electricity consumption for 680 households in Singapore a year – will be saved annually from the hotel’s energy conservation features. These include fitting photo and motion sensors to monitor and turn on supplementary lights when necessary and installing solar cell devices to power all the grow lamps and softscape lighting in the hotel’s sky gardens.
- 65,000 cubic metres of water – the equivalent of 32.5 Olympic-sized swimming pools – will be saved annually from the hotel’s water conservation features. These include installing rain sensors to turn off irrigation when it rains, fitting efficient water devices and installing leak detection and water usage monitoring system.
About Pan Pacific Hotels Group
Pan Pacific Hotels Group is a listed hotel subsidiary of Singapore-listed UOL Group Limited, one of Asia’s most established hotel and property companies with an outstanding portfolio of investment and development properties. Based in Singapore, Pan Pacific Hotels Group owns and/or manages over 30 hotels, resorts and serviced suites with over 10,000 rooms including those under development in Asia, Oceania and North America. The Group comprises two acclaimed brands: Pan Pacific® and PARKROYAL®. Pan Pacific ® is a leading brand in Asia and the Pacific Rim with hotels offering premium accommodations and services. PARKROYAL® is a collection of comfortable leisure and business hotels and resorts located in the heart of cities and interesting locales across Asia Pacific. For more information, visit pphg.com.
Pan Pacific Hotels Group
|Chan Hse May
Director, Corporate Communications
DID: (65) 6808 1265
Fax: (65) 6821 8001